Over the past year I’ve used several note-taking applications on my Android phone, including the two big ones: SpringPad and Evernote. Both of those ended up being far too complex for my purposes, though, so I’m hunting for something new. Since I appreciate the wide, wide nerdery to be found in my circle of friends, I was hoping one of you might be able to point me the right way.
Here’s my wishlist:
- Simple. I don’t need web clipping, a dozen different categories, collaboration, etc. The cleaner the interface, the better.
- Light-weight. My phone is stuffed to the brink so I’d prefer to be the app to take up as little space as possible.
- Syncing. I need to be able to access my notes on my computer (as hassle-free as possible). I don’t care if this is via an application, website, or Chrome plugin.
- Shortcut to creating a note. I want to be able to hit a button from my home screen and start typing.
- Shortcut to specific existing notes.
- Checklist support would be nice, but isn’t essential.
- The option to create notes on notes would be fantastic, too–this is the main reason I’ve stuck with SpringPad for so long. I like creating one note for a project I’m working on and being able to add quick snippets to that note (often only one line or a paragraph).
Simply editing an existing note is not ideal: it that makes it harder to see what was added when, and it’s annoying having to find your place in a note that’s three pages long. Adding brand-new notes and organizing them by folder also doesn’t suit my purposes.
Basically, what I want is to be able to open a note and scroll through all my thoughts without having to open the files individually, as is the case when you organize them within folders. (Of course, if these folders allow you to read the contents of the notes within without opening them, that’d be excellent too!)
- I’m happy to plonk down a few dollars for this, as long as there’s a trial period or ad-supported version with all the necessary options so I can try it out first.
It’s probably a long shot, but I figured, what the heck. The golden tip will get e-hugs and admiration.